Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to Me

Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there. How did your day go? Good. I'm glad to hear yours went so well. Here's mine: (Warning: If you have a weak stomach, do not continue. Seriously, I'm not joking. Don't read this if you can't handle some pretty gross stuff.)

Gabe had to leave at about 8:00 to get to church. I was ready to have a nice, fun morning with my two little ones. We did the breakfast thing and the getting dressed/teeth brushing thing. Then, I sat down to nurse Keira. I figured that if we left as soon as I finished feeding her, we could get to church with just enough time before the service started for Andrew to say hi to Gabe. Perfect! I looked down at my little girl as she was nursing and thought, "Wow. She looks so beautiful today! Andrew looks good too. I should take a picture of the three of us before anything happens."

Meanwhile, Andrew was starting to have some looks on his face that seemed to indicate that it was time to use the bathroom. Yes, we are potty training. And yes, it has been going fairly well, though not necessarily on this particular morning. Andrew kept on telling me that no, he didn't need to use the bathroom. So finally, I dropped it and decided that even if he did, I could help him when I finished nursing his little sister.

I was still nursing Keira a few minutes later when I heard, "Mommy! uuuuuuuuhhhhh... Mommy!" from Andrew's room. I kept asking him to come to me to tell me what was wrong, but he kept insisting that I go to his room. Once he started crying, I thought that maybe he was stuck somewhere and I needed to help get him out. I half ran/half walked into his room while still nursing Keira to find Andrew stuck in the middle of the room. He wouldn't move because he had poop coming out of his undies (like I said, we're in the midst of potty training), on the carpet, and in my new white shoes (which he was wearing at the time.) Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I put Keira down (now upset because she was still hungry) and began cleaning Andrew. He started to find it funny (which it wasn't), so I cleaned him up first and told him to go play somewhere else. Once I was done dunking underwear in the toilet, scrubbing the carpet, cleaning my shoes, and scrubbing my hands like crazy, I finished nursing Keira.

Quite a start to my Mothers Day, no? But wait, there's more...

At this point, we were going to be late for church, but only by a few minutes. And hey, these things happen when you're potty training a 2 1/2 year old, right? So I finished getting all three of us ready and headed out the door. We got down stairs, Andrew loaded himself into the car, and we had all of our luggage for church piled into the back. That's when I heard Keira make a sound that was all too familiar, the product of which I knew would be not too dissimilar from what I just cleaned up in Andrew's room. For a minute, I thought that maybe I could catch her in time before she made a big mess. Nope. I got Andrew back out of the car and scooted him and carried a poopy Keira up the stairs back into the house. It took another 5-10 minutes to clean her up. At this point I would not only be about 40 minutes late for church, but I would need to nurse Keira again once we got there.

So we went back downstairs, I loaded everyone back into the car, climbed into the drivers seat, and took a deep breath. As I was exhaling, Andrew (for the first time that morning) shouted to me, "Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!"

Thank you, son.

The End.

The above picture was taken Sunday evening. As I always tell my kids, "It's a good thing they're cute!"

5 comments:

NerdMom said...

In retrospect, it was a good thing Andrew didn't obey and come to you or you could have had a poop trail down the hall all the way to where you were.

Carolyn said...

I think about 80% of being a mom involves bodily fluids of some sort--at least for the first few years! Good luck with the potty training, too. (We're using the M&M bribe method at the moment!)

Anonymous said...

Usually, when something like that happens, I'll tell Allie that I now understand why some animals eat their offspring.

Amy said...

No wonder you were late to church when you called me!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really crappy! I guess it could have been worse... in addition, both of them could have gotten sick all over everything! :)