Friday, March 23, 2007

"I Get a Runner's High, Which is Why Now I Swim"

Angela, The Office (deleted scene from "Drug Testing")

About two weeks ago, I had a friend tell me that if she were going to run a long-distance race, she'd run a half-marathon, not a full one because a full marathon is just crazy. I brushed off her comment and responded with, "C'mon. If you're going to run 13 miles, why not just keep going?"

That was the day before my 13-mile run. Dude. 13 miles is far. I just found out last week that 15 miles is even further. I have a feeling that 17 miles tomorrow is going to be even longer. You've gotta' be a little off your rocker to run this far. Lucky for me, my rocker was never quite right anyway. I agree with my friend that running this far is a little nutty, but it is AWESOME!

I seriously do get a "runner's high" after several miles. It's sweet! I just feel like I could run forever and never get tired. It's such an amazing feeling! I'm on a "everyone-should-run-a-marathon" kick right now. Sure, I haven't run one yet, but the training is great. I'm in shape physically and I'm really challenging myself mentally. It's been surprising for me how much mental strength I've lost over the past 10 years. Honestly, my head is usually the body part that gets tired first. I'm working really hard on it though and hopefully I'll overcome this weakness before June because I've heard that 26 miles is even further than 17!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

You can do it, Cheri! I completely believe in you--although I don't think I'll ever be running next to you. :)

Anonymous said...

Cheri let me comment on a few things.

1. How could you not think that 13 miles is far, especially when you are traveling that distance on foot?

2. Yeah, your rocker is different (everyone's is), but the main thing is YOU ROCK (pun definitely intended). That is what makes you so special.

3. I don't understand the runners high thing. Personally, when I run (even when I was in great shape) I go until my legs buckle below me and, believe me, it has never taken long for that to happen. But I do have a suggestion as to how to defeat the mental aspect. I saw it on a movie this weekend. Don't let your mind know how far you have gone or how far is left to go. In the movie they blindfolded the person so they could not see. That may not be the best advice for you, but it would definitely make your runs more eventful.

Good luck as you continue to train.

Unknown said...

Loved reading though your blog. Andrew is tooooooo cute. Your life is certainly full. Have been watching the 700 club on Wednesdays. The host is training to run 13 miles. Very interesting process.